Thursday, April 19, 2007

Mind your own beeswax

Oh, how I love when decisions are made for me by my governement. From the New York Times Yesterday, the Supreme Court backed the federal Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act. We are inching closer and closer to completely banning abortion (which I am suprised has not happened yet under the current administration). The real kicker to this story was Justice Kennedy vocalizing, "It is self-evident that a mother who comes to regret her choice to abort must struggle with grief more anguished and sorrow more profound when she learns, only after the event, what she once did not know: that she allowed a doctor to pierce the skull and vacuum the fast-developing brain of her unborn child, a child assuming the human form.” Justice Kennedy apparently knows me better than I know myself. I think my stance on abortion is blatantly obvious. I am 100% pro-choice though that does not mean that I would make that choice.

Another interesting tidbit is that Giuliani has decided to support the supreme courts decsision (despite his 1997 stance against legislation that would outlaw partial birth abortions) perhaps in a desperate appeal to potential voters? You can read the story here. I will comend Giuliani not for his usually unwaiving support of abortion rights and funding but for commenting that the Republican Party "has to get beyond issues like that." That is a statement that I can agree with 100%! Domestic technicalities such as gay marriage and whether or not pre teen girls should be forced to recieve a vaccine that may help prevent cervical cancer (when long term affects of the vaccincation are still unknown). Issues such as these are too personal the government should not make it their business. But I am sure some politicians see the issues as a nice distraction from what is going on with the War on Terror, gas prices, the trade deficit and that little thing called global warming...

No comments: